Friday, January 21

About a thousand people evacuated by the La Palma eruption will be able to return to their homes this Monday

Between 900 and 1,000 people will be able to return to their homes on La Palma this Monday. The Canary Islands Volcanic Emergency Plan (Pevolca) has agreed this Sunday to lift the evacuations in several areas affected by the eruption that ended on December 25. The points that will be accessible tomorrow from 9 a.m. “meet safe conditions for the return of its inhabitants,” said the technical director of Pevolca, Miguel Ángel Morcuende.

These are the areas where evacuations will take place:

On the north side, from the kilometer point of the San Nicolás highway (LP-212) in a straight line to point 44.41 of the Tamanca general highway (LP-202); from this point in a straight line to the fork in the Los Llanos de Aridane and Fuencaliente road and from there to the fork in the El Morro del Cabrito road and to the west 500 meters along the Cruz Chica road.

The area in which the evacuation is being lifted continues in a northwesterly direction until the junction of the LP-213 on the Los Barretos road. People who live between the Los Barretos road heading west towards the Las Martelas de Abajo road, north of the nucleus of La Laguna, may also return to their homes. So will those who have their home between this point and the path that goes south towards the mountain of La Laguna, surrounding it from the north to the coastline.

recommendations

Morcuende has indicated that you should not access underground spaces -garage, storage rooms or basements- without a prior gas measurement and has specified that if you need to access these spaces, you must ask Cecopin to carry out the measurement.

Likewise, it is advisable to enter the buildings accompanied and ventilate the house at least 15 minutes before turning on the electricity. In case of dizziness, lack of breath or strength or nausea, you have to leave the house and notify emergencies, has warned the technical director of Pevolca, who has also said that you have to notify the city council in case you notice bulges, deformations or cracks in the home.

Morcuende has also recommended that you have an operational telephone, that the established limits are not exceeded and, regarding the cleaning of the ashes, has advised that people protect their skin, respiratory tract and eyes. The rest of the evacuated areas may not be opened until they meet the security conditions. So far there are 564 people staying in hotels and 40 in health centers on the island.



www.eldiario.es

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *