Sunday, October 17

At least 80 dead and 100 injured in an attack on a mosque in Afghanistan


At least 80 people have died and about 100 have been injured this Friday in an attack on a Shiite mosque during the crowded prayers on Friday in Kunduz province, in northern Afghanistan, although there is no official figure yet.

A soccer player, a dentist and a desperate father, the young people who fell from the plane while trying to flee from the Taliban

Know more

“A strong explosion took place in the Sayed-Abad mosque, in which eighty people from the Shiite community who attended prayers have died and about a hundred more have been injured,” Ghulam Rabani Rabani, a former member of the Kunduz provincial council.

Nazir Naeemi, a citizen who was at the scene of the attack, told EFE that “it seems that about one hundred people have died and about two hundred have been injured,” although the number is still unclear in the absence of an official figure for the authorities.

The main spokesman for the Taliban, Zabihullah Mujahid, has said that the Shiite mosque was the target and that a “large number” of worshipers had been killed and injured. He said that Taliban special forces had arrived at the scene and were investigating the incident.

The former director of the Department of Refugees and Repatriation of the province Muhamad Akbar has informed EFE that when the explosion took place “hundreds of people were gathered (in the mosque) for Friday prayers. I have information on more than a hundred people killed and wounds, “he said.

Videos of the mosque after the attack show dozens of bodies covered in blood with amputated limbs lying on the ground, amid rubble and the cries of anguish from people who were rushing to help.

So far, no armed group or organization has claimed responsibility for this attack.

Wave of attacks

The attack takes place after at least two people were killed in an explosion last Sunday near the entrance to a mosque in Kabul, where a funeral ceremony was being held for the death of Mujahid’s mother.

The jihadist group Islamic State (IS) claimed responsibility for the attack last Sunday, joining a series of attacks by the formation since the final withdrawal of US troops from Afghanistan shortly before midnight on August 31.

These attacks have left dozens of civilian and Taliban victims, especially in Kabul and in the eastern state of Nangarhar, which borders Pakistan and is a stronghold of ISIS in Afghanistan.

The Taliban, who took control of Kabul on August 15, have launched massive operations against the IS in several provinces of Afghanistan, with the aim of ending what they consider to be the main threat against their government.





www.eldiario.es

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *