Thursday, September 29

Brussels will offer 2.8 million euros to help relocate Nissan employees


  • Europe will finance orientation and development plans for some 450 workers from the multinational’s supplier companies.

  • 85% of the amount requested by Spain will be provided by the European Union and the remaining 15%, up to 3.3 million, will come from the Employment Service of Catalonia.

The European Comission today approved the presentation of an aid fund of 2.8 million euros to relocate about 450 employees of the automobile sector in Catalonia that were affected by the closure of the Nissan plants. The Commissioner for Employment and Social Rights, Nicolas Schmidt, pointed out that this proposal responds to the fact that “the European Union shows its solidarity with workers that have been affected by unforeseen restructuring”.

The government Spanish asked Brussels for a aid from the Globalization Adjustment Fund (EGF) to be able to provide assistance to workers made redundant from some ten Nissan supplier companies in Catalonia. Despite the formal request, for the funds to be unblocked, approval by the member states of the European Parliament is necessary. This procedure includes the acceptance of the program designed by the Government that includes measures with a cost of 3.3 million euros, of which 85% would be covered by european funds that Brussels is now processing.

The rest of the amount will be financed with 15% of the Public Employment Service of Catalonia (SOC), which since January has been collaborating so that affected workers can apply for aid.

Consulting and monitoring

The purpose of the funds is to ensure that employees who have seen their activity terminated due to Nissan’s departure can enter recycling plans in order to “return to the labor market in the shortest possible time and apply for new jobs”.

Related news

According to what appears in the program presented and collected by Europa Press, aid actions are planned in the resume writing, practices for Job interviews, learning new skills through vocational training, assisting the unemployed in job search and financing for the creation of a company, for example with up to 5,000 euros for establishment costs.

They can also benefit from a personalized tutoring throughout the entire process of creating the company. In addition, the contributions to travel costs or to the expenses of workers with family responsibilities are possible to facilitate participation in support measures. Workers starting a new job will be able to receive a bonus and benefit from follow-up in the new job.



www.elperiodico.com