Sunday, October 2

Donald Trump accumulated more than 300 classified documents in his house


The former president of the United States, Donald Trump, accumulated more than 300 classified documents in his residence in Mar-a-Lago (Florida), they indicated to the newspaper New York Times multiple sources with knowledge of the matter.

Trump garners support by using FBI record to try to run again in 2024

Know more

As published this Monday by the newspaper, the US government has been gradually recovering those 300 documents in the last year and a half, that is, since Trump left the White House in January 2021. In total, the 300 documents were returned to the Government in three deliveries. First, in January of this year, the US National Archives, in charge of guarding historical material, managed to recover 150 classified documents from the former president’s residence.

The second batch of documents was delivered to the Department of Justice by Trump advisers in June and, thirdly, the FBI seized more classified files in the notorious search that it carried out this month in the former president’s mansion in Florida. Until now, the exact volume of material that US security forces had found in Trump’s home was unknown.

The contents of the documents Trump took from the White House have not yet been released. The Department of Justice has only made public some fragments of the search warrant with which the FBI inspected the former president’s mansion. That order indicates that Trump and people close to him could be committing crimes of obstruction of justice, destruction of documents and violation of the espionage law.

Attempt to block the FBI

Former President Trump asked a Florida court on Monday to temporarily block the FBI from reviewing the materials obtained in the search, which he considers “illegal and unconstitutional”, carried out on August 8 at his home in Mar-a-Lago, and requested the designation of a “special teacher” in charge of his supervision, a more detailed receipt of what was seized and the return of what was not included in the court order.

In announcing the measure, Trump on Monday described the search carried out by FBI agents at his home in Palm Beach, southeast Florida, as an “unnecessary, unjustified and un-American break-in.” The former president also assured that “all” the documents that he took from the White House to his residence had been previously declassified.

The search warrant released showed that Trump took classified material from the White House to his residence. Said order also pointed out the crimes in which he may be incurring: violation of the espionage law, obstruction of justice and destruction of documents.

The former president complained that the agents “demanded that the security cameras be turned off, a request that they legitimately” denied, and that they prevented his lawyers from observing what they were taking. The Republican denounced that they took documents that are protected by the attorney-client privilege, passports and that they also opened his safe.

Trump explained that the motion presented seeks that the Department of Justice “immediately stop the review of the documents illegally seized from my house” and that a “special teacher” supervise the handling of the seized material.

The reasons for registration

Meanwhile, the federal judge deciding whether to disclose the reasons why the FBI searched Mar-a-Lago reiterated Monday that he is interested in publishing them but has not yet decided to do so. In a document published this Monday, Judge Bruce Reinhart explained that he will wait for the text that he ordered to deliver to the Prosecutor’s Office before next Thursday, hiding the most sensitive data that may affect the investigation.

Reinhart, who at the hearing last Thursday, in West Palm Beach, was inclined to publish the affidavit with sensitive parts hidden, said Monday that he will analyze the fact because it could result in the text being “meaningless” for the media that have requested disclosure.

“I can’t say right now. [las partes del texto] partially hidden will be so extensive that it will result in pointless disclosure, but ultimately I can come to that conclusion after hearing more [lo que diga] the Government,” Reinhart said, according to Guardian. The Department of Justice refuses to publish the text, arguing that there is an ongoing investigation.

Possible candidacy for the White House

In the lawsuit filed by Trump this Monday, the Republican has again suggested that he will soon announce his candidacy for the White House for the 2024 elections.

“Politics cannot be allowed to affect the administration of justice,” the suit says. “President Donald J. Trump is the clear favorite in the 2024 Republican Presidential Primary and the 2024 General Election, if he chooses to run.”

“Beyond that, your support in the midterm [elecciones legislativas que se celebrarán en noviembre] of 2022 has been decisive for the Republican candidates, ”says the text. The United States is currently immersed in a major primary process to choose the candidates who will stand for election in November. For the moment, the former president has shown his influence in the party: many of the candidates who have supported Trump have won their primaries. By contrast, only two of the ten Republicans who voted for the second impeachment (for instigating the assault on the Capitol in 2021) are still standing after the first phase of the primaries.



www.eldiario.es