To unlock your iPhone, you need to meet some requirements: the device must have been fully paid for, it must not have been reported as stolen and, in general, your account must be in good standing. Are you determined to change operator? In this guide we explain how to unlock an iPhone.
You will be interested in:
Verify that your carrier offers the release and note that it may take a few days to complete the process after submitting your request.
- Contact your operator and request an unlock.
- Wait for your carrier to confirm that your iPhone is unlocked.
- If you have a SIM card from a different provider, remove it and insert the new one.
- Set up your iPhone again.
- If you don’t have another SIM card, please backup your iPhone.
- After the backup, erase your iPhone.
- Restore your iPhone from the backup you made.
You may see this message on your computer or on your iPhone: “The SIM card inserted in this iPhone is not supported. Only compatible SIM cards from a compatible provider can be used to activate iPhone. Please insert the SIM card that came with your iPhone or visit a compatible carrier store ”. If you see that message, do this:
- Starting with iOS 14, you should check the status of your phone. Go to Settings, General and select About. Find the Company Lock section. This section should say No SIM restrictions. If you don’t see that message, then the company probably hasn’t unlocked your phone yet. Contact your provider immediately to see what is happening.
- This should be enough to get your iPhone unlocked, but if you are still having difficulties, you may have to restore your iPhone to factory settings and reboot it from a backup.
If you have AT&T you can use the unlock portal of the device to avoid telephone contact with customer service. This process may take a few days and you will receive a confirmation once it is complete. To disconnect your iPhone from the AT&T network, you must do the following.
- If you have a current or permanent contract, pay the outstanding amount, including penalties.
- If you have paid your balance in advance, wait at least 24 hours.
- Make sure your phone has not been reported as lost or stolen, that it has not been involved in fraud, and that the account is up to date.
- Your phone must have been active for at least 60 days, with no past due or unpaid balance. You also cannot be active on a different AT&T customer account.
- If you updated your device early, you must wait a period of 14 days (30 days for business customers) before unlocking your old cell phone.
- Members of the military can unlock their iPhones, including those with contracts, but be sure to record your active military status when filling out AT&T forms.
- When you’re ready, provide the company with your IMEI number on the unlock page (dial # 06 # to find it).
Check if the unlocking has been completed by referring to the unlock status online from AT&T or wait for the confirmation email. If the unlock is complete, remove your AT&T SIM card and insert your new carrier’s SIM to begin the setup process. Don’t worry about iPads and portable devices with LTE connections – they are managed separately and sold pre-loaded.
Prepaid and contract iPhones purchased from Verizon will be locked for 60 days after purchase.
- After 60 days of activation, not purchase, Verizon automatically removes the lock.
- Prepaid and postpaid phones adhere to the same 60-day rule.
- Members of the US Armed Forces can unlock their iPhones by contacting the company to make the request.
After 60 days Verizon automatically removes the block, so if you have fulfilled your commitments with the operator, you can remove using a different SIM of your choice. Members of the United States Armed Forces can unlock their iPhones even during the 60-day lockdown period.
T-Mobile has a number of terms and conditions that you must meet before releasing your iPhone from the network.
- Your account must be in good standing and the iPhone must not be reported as lost or stolen.
- Not have requested more than two mobile device unlock codes per line of service in the last 12 months.
- If the device was financed using the T ‑ Mobile Device Payment Plan (EIP), you will need to make the remaining payments.
- For contract accounts, the phone must be active on the T ‑ Mobile network for at least 40 days. If the device is on a canceled account the balance must be paid in full.
- If the device is in an account with a permanence contract, at least 18 consecutive monthly payments must have been made.
- T – Mobile may request proof of purchase or additional information.
- Prepaid iPhones must have been active on the T ‑ Mobile network for more than a year, otherwise they must have more than $ 100 in recharges from the first date of use.
- As with other companies, the exceptions for military personnel, business and government accounts may apply under certain circumstances.
If the device meets the requirements, contact T ‑ Mobile Customer Service to request the steps to unlock your device. Exceptions may apply for military personnel, businesses, and government accounts in certain circumstances. Once your iPhone meets the minimum criteria, T-Mobile will send you information on how to unlock your phone. Contact him Customer service from T ‑ Mobile for details.
Sprint no longer exists. After its merger with T-Mobile, the provider is no longer an entity. However, this is a problem, as T-Mobile will only unlock iPhones purchased directly from T-Mobile, not Sprint. If you have a locked Sprint iPhone, your best option is to call the Customer Service numbers and explain your situation:
- Contract Clients: 888-211-4727
- Previous Sprint Forward Customers: 855-639-4644
IPhone 7-12 and SE2 models are locked on the UScellular network for 120 days after activation to prevent fraud and theft. For locked 4G LTE devices released before February 1, 2016, some can be unlocked via software. 1X and 3G devices locked by UScellular released before February 1, 2016, can be unlocked via request to customer service.
After the 120-day lockdown period ends, UScellular immediately unlocks the aforementioned iPhone models if your account is in good standing. During the 120-day lockdown period, the carrier will contractually unlock your device upon request if you are in military service deployed overseas. Your account must be in good standing or paid in full and you must meet all of your financial obligations.
If you have problems with the official unlocking of a company, you can do the IMEI unlocking, which works the same as the first one. There are many IMEI unlocking companies out there, but it’s best to turn to trusted ones like Express Unlocks, DoctorSIM, MobileUnlocked, UnlockBase, Cellphone Unlock, UnlockUnit, Unlock River, and Unlock Radar. Check review sites like Trustpilot before making a final decision or paying. The price to unlock an iPhone varies based on your company. These services unlock models ranging from the recent iPhone 11 series to the iPhone 4.
Most third-party unlocking services operate in the same way. From their website, you pay different amounts, usually less than $ 100, for an email-based unlock code. Reputable unlocking services have customer service lines and deliver codes quickly.
All iPhones you buy from Apple, either online or at the Apple Store, are unlocked, except for specific financing options with carriers. An unlocked iPhone allows you to choose the carrier you want. To get started with a new provider, do the following:
- Turn off your iPhone.
- Remove the SIM card from your old company.
- Insert the SIM card from the new company.
- Restart your phone.
- Once powered on, follow the onscreen instructions to set up your device.
You can also buy a cell phone without a SIM, which means that your iPhone does not come with a SIM card from any company, allowing you to use a card from any compatible operator. Sure, you will have to pay for your new device in full and in advance.
If you can’t pay for it in full, you could consider Apple’s iPhone Upgrade Program, where you get a phone unlocked in much the same way as the SIM-free option. Not only do you avoid paying upfront, but you can also make monthly payments and are eligible for a device upgrade after 12 payments. The program includes the AppleCare + protection plan that together with an additional monthly payment of $ 4.17 dollars also adds the Thetf and Loss Protection. This plan requires a credit check.