Did you know that in the United States you can access a federal subsidy to finance part of your internet access? And that you can also receive a contribution to buy a laptop or a phone? If you don’t know it yet, we’ll explain how to get discount for internet in the US in 2022.
You will be interested:
What is the Internet Discount Program
The Internet Discount Program (Affordable Connectivity Program or ACP) is a federal contribution that allows the most vulnerable households in the United States to finance part of their Internet account, provided they meet the requirements.
The initiative of the Federal Communications Commission (FCC) emerged in the context of the COVID-19 pandemic as an Emergency Broadband Benefit or EBB, to go in aid of families who did not have sufficient resources to finance broadband internet for work, school, health services.
The EBB ended on December 31, 2021 and has since been replaced by the ACP program, which is now a long-term and permanent policy to support the most vulnerable families in the United States. For 2022, it contemplates resources for $14 billion dollars.
What are the benefits of the ACP program
The Internet Discount Program provides a subsidy of up to $30 per month for internet service for eligible households and up to $75 for households located on tribal lands.
But the contribution is not only restricted to internet access, but also considers a one-time benefit of $100 dollars to buy a laptop, desktop or tablet, if households contribute at least $10 up to $50 of the price. of the team.
Which are the requirements
Households – which are understood as one or more people who live in the same space and share expenses, even if they have no relatives – must have a monthly income equal to or less than 200 percent of the federal poverty guidelines.
|household size||48 contiguous states and DC||Alaska||hawaii|
|For each additional person, add:||$9,080||$11,360||$10,440|
If you do not have the income requirement, other options to access the discount program is to meet one or more of the following conditions:
- Participate in state assistance programs.
- Participate in programs targeting tribal lands.
- Receive subsidies from the free or reduced-price breakfast or lunch program.
- have received a scholarship Federal Pell Grantduring the current award year.
- Meet the requirements of the low-income program of one of the providers.
How to apply for the benefit
To apply for the internet discount, you need to have the following documents:
- Tax return, social benefits, unemployment benefits certificate, a retirement statement or any other document that allows you to prove your income.
- Letter or official document that proves that you participate in another assistance program, in case you meet this requirement.
- A Social Security number, driver’s license, tribal ID, or any other document that allows you to prove your identity.
When you gather the necessary documentation, these are the options to apply:
After you submit your application, you should expect the FCC to contact you. Online applications may receive immediate approval, after which you will need to contact some of the providers available in your area of residence.