Although iPhone group text messages are a good way to stay informed and don’t have the immediacy pressure of other messaging apps, they often become a drag. Do you want to cut to the chase? Learn how to leave a group chat on iPhone and what alternative measures you have.
How to leave an iPhone group chat
It may seem like a drastic measure, but there are times when it’s the only way out of the dozens of messages you receive every day in a single iPhone group chat. If you are determined to abandon it, these are the steps you must take:
- Check the group text message you want to leave.
- Tap the group icons at the top of the thread.
- If you’re using iOS 15, scroll down and tap leave this conversation.
- If you’re using iOS 14 or earlier, check the button Information and then press leave this conversation.
Are there any restrictions? You’ll only be able to leave a group conversation if there are four or more people in the thread and they’re all using an Apple device, like an iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch.
If you don’t see the option to sign out, it means one or more users in the group aren’t using an Apple device with iMessage.
How to mute an iPhone group chat
We know that leaving a group can be a radical measure, so a less drastic measure is to mute the conversations and stop receiving notifications.
You will be interested:
In this way, the arrival of a message will not interrupt your daily activities and you can keep up to date when you deem it convenient.
This alternative is also useful if you can’t leave a text message group because one or more users aren’t using an Apple device.
To mute a group of group messages, you must perform the following steps, depending on the type of operating system you are using.
- Tap the text message group.
- If you’re using iOS 15, tap the group icons at the top. If you’re using iOS 14 or earlier, tap the group icons at the top, then the button Information.
- Scroll down and activate the option Hide notices.
An alternative method to mute notifications is through the conversation list, with the following steps:
- From the list of message threads, swipe left on the group text message you want to mute.
- Press the button Alerts.
- In iOS 15, you will see the icon Hide notices to the right side of the conversation. In iOS 14 or earlier, a crescent moon icon will appear.
You must consider that the function Hide notices it only stops notifications for messages from a specific group, but not for all messages. In this way, you will continue to receive other types of notifications.