- You can remove followers on Instagram so that they can no longer view your content.
- You can remove a follower from your Followers list on your profile, or from the follower’s profile.
- When you remove a follower, they aren’t notified of the change, but they can still request to follow you back.
- Visit Insider’s Tech Reference library for more stories.
If you want to prevent certain people from viewing your Instagram content, your best move is to set your account to private, to approve everyone who requests to follow you.
A public account does offer the chance to garner more followers, though, and might be necessary if you post on social media for work, to share art, or for other such purposes.
Also, even with a private account you might still want to boot certain people whom you no longer wish to see your content.
The good news is that Instagram makes it easy to remove followers without the follower being notified.
Here’s how to remove a follower from your Followers list or from the user’s profile on the Instagram mobile app.
How to remove followers on Instagram from your Followers list
2. From the app homepage, tap your profile icon in the bottom-right corner.
3. At the top of your profile page, tap on Followers.
4. Scroll down to find the follower you want to remove, or use the search bar at the top of the screen to find them. You can also select the categories Accounts You Don’t Follow Back or Least Interacted With at the top to find a follower.
5. Tap the word Remove next to the follower you want to remove.
6. Select Remove again in the pop-up.
How to remove followers on Instagram from the follower’s profile
2. Go to the follower’s profile you want to remove, either by searching for their account, scrolling through your followers list, or tapping the name of an account that appears on your timeline.
3. From their profile page, tap the icon of three horizontal dots in the top-right corner.
4. In the pop-up menu, select Remove Follower.
5. Then select Remove again in the next pop-up.