Wednesday, December 8

Ikoyi building collapse: Lagos State says death toll now 45, no plans to demolish 2 other structures


The Lagos State Government has announced that the number of recovered bodies from the collapsed 21-storey building in Ikoyi has risen to 45. It also stated that no directive had been given for the demolition of the two other high-rise buildings at the scene.

This was disclosed in a statement by the Commissioner for Information and Strategy, Mr Gbenga Omotosho, on Wednesday.

He added that rescue operations at the site will also continue in the search for victims, as the identifications of victims’ bodies continue at the IDH in Yaba.

What the Commissioner is saying

Omotosho said, ”A committee to supervise the identification and release of the bodies has begun work. It comprises senior officials of the Ministry of Health and the Ministry of Justice.”

He stated that the Panel of Inquiry instituted to establish issues surrounding the collapse of the building had continued to sit and an integrity test was yet to be conducted on the buildings.

“No directive had been given for the demolition of the two high-rise buildings standing at the site of the 21-storey collapsed building an Ikoyi.”

“It’s wrong to assert or speculate that the buildings would be demolished,” he added.

In case you missed it

Nairametrics reported earlier that the Lagos State Government revealed that 29 families have submitted samples for DNA tests to identify bodies of victims from the collapsed 21-storey building in Ikoyi.

They also added that the identification process continues at the IDH, Yaba, Lagos Mainland and also a committee to supervise the identification and release of the bodies had been set up.



nairametrics.com

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *