Dozens of young migrants lying on the ground next to each other grimacing in pain on the Moroccan side of the Melilla fence as Moroccan security forces hold them back. These are some of the images to which elDiario.es has had access this Saturday, after the tragic attempt to jump over the fence in which 37 migrants have died.
On the Moroccan side of the border, the Moroccan Association for Human Rights (AMDH) in Nador has released numerous videos showing dozens of sub-Saharan men lying in piles on the ground, wounded or very tired, surrounded by Moroccan riot police. In other images, the gendarmes beat some of these people who tried to enter Melilla, despite showing no resistance and being in a very weak state.
The AMDH has requested that “the rapid burial of deceased migrants” not be carried out without the opening of a “global, rapid and serious investigation to determine responsibilities and deficiencies.” From Walking Borders they have warned of the delays in the health care provided to the injured people on the Alaouite side. “The victims of the Melilla tragedy agonized for hours under the cruel gaze of those who were supposed to help them and did not,” Helena Maleno, founder of the network, has denounced.
During the morning of this Friday, of the “2,000 people” that made up the group that tried to approach Melilla to jump the fence, 500 men managed to “start the entrance to Melilla”, always according to official figures calculated by bulk. Of those 500, according to the Government Delegation, 133 managed to remain in the autonomous city. What happened to the rest? “The rest have been contained both by Moroccan security forces and by Moroccan security forces and bodies,” responded the same sources.
To the question of whether they had been “rejected at the border” (the term with which the Executive refers to hot returns), the Government Delegation avoided answering throughout the day, but the images to which it has accessed elDiario.es show that dozens of people were expelled without any procedure to Morocco. At least two of them were beaten and pushed by the Moroccan authorities in the area located between the two wire fences, built on Spanish soil.
Finally, sources from the Ministry of the Interior have confirmed to this medium that the police deployment included hot returns, although they do not detail the figure: “There have been rejections at the border in application of current legislation.”
Sánchez calls it a “violent assault”
The President of the Government, Pedro Sánchez, has described the jump to the fence as a “violent assault” and blames the “mafias that traffic in human beings” for the deaths. “Yesterday I expressed my solidarity and vindicated the extraordinary work that the security forces and bodies of our country are doing. Some civil guards were injured as a result of this violent assault organized by mafias that traffic in human beings. It was a violent attack on the territorial integrity of our country”, he said at the press conference after the extraordinary Council of Ministers.
“The Moroccan gendarmerie worked with the state security forces to repel this violent assault. If there is a person responsible for everything that seems to have happened on that border, it is the mafias that traffic in human beings”, he said.