Wednesday, August 10

One year after starting to vaccinate, dying from COVID-19 in Spain is practically unlikely while being vaccinated


Eleven months after Araceli received the first vaccine for COVID-19 in Spain, 90% of the target population (those over twelve years of age) are vaccinated with the full schedule. A campaign that has made it possible to regain normality prior to the pandemic to a very high degree, and above all, save many lives along the way. After this time is when we can review the incidence of the disease in both vaccinated and unvaccinated, as well as their risk of ending up hospitalized, in an ICU or deceased depending on whether they have been immunized or not.

The data published by the Center for the Coordination of Health Alerts and Emergencies, dependent on the Ministry of Health, show how the same percentages of effectiveness of the vaccines as those tested during the 2020 trials are being met. The risk of hospitalization of an infected person aged 12 to 30 years that is not vaccinated (1.4%) is very similar to that of a person aged 60 to 79 years vaccinated (2%), when without the vaccine this last group had rates 25 times higher. After 60 years is when COVID-19 has a higher incidence of hospitalizations and fatality. Without the vaccine, this 60-79 group would have a 35.7% hospitalization rate. More than one in three. With the vaccine, one in fifty.

Of every 25 deaths between 60 and 79 years old, 24 are saved thanks to the vaccine

The fatality in that same group has also fallen: of every 25 people between 60 and 79 years old who were infected and ended up dying, now 24 are saved if they are vaccinated. In the most critical group of this disease, those over 80 years of age, mortality has also plummeted. It goes from 11.6% in unvaccinated to 1.3% in vaccinated. Most percentages in the graph fall to around 90% for the same age groups when they are vaccinated.

The fatality of COVID-19, which was previously very rare in less than 60 years (0% for those under 30, 0.1% for people between 31 and 59), is now even more so, remaining at 0.0% in both groups. This means that there may be some cases of death in vaccinated people of these ages, but it will be less than that percentage. That is to say, less than one person in 10,000.

"We are all going to get infected": the Spanish Medicines Agency prepares for winter as countries like Austria return to confinement

These rates, with 90% of the target population vaccinated (the remaining 10% have not been able to do so due to health reasons or due to refusal to receive the vaccine, among other reasons), imply that COVID-19 has a very low impact on patients. under 60 years of age, and with less serious consequences than even before the vaccination campaign.

At this point we can become aware that vaccines work and are of enormous help, despite the fact that something else is needed to completely solve the pandemic. Although their effectiveness does not reach 100%, they have been the key to return our life to a level of normality very similar to the previous one.. Questions remain such as looking for other solutions that help put the pandemic behind completely or see what happens with vaccines for those under 12 years of age. Already in summer we could see how vaccines sank the lethality of the virus, but now is when we can see its real effectiveness in all age groups.



www.xataka.com