Carles Puigdemont assured this Saturday at a press conference from Sardinia, where he was arrested on Thursday night and released on Friday without precautionary measures, that next Monday he will fly to Brussels to continue his work as a MEP and will return to the island Italian on October 4 to appear in person before the Sassari court. “We are not going to fail our strategy or the Italian justice system. On the 4th we will appear together, in person, and we will take the result that we all know we are going to take ”, added his lawyer, Gonzalo Boye, also present at the appearance before the media.
A different world since the Puigdemont march: pardons, a dialogue table and a discarded rebellion
“I am happy with the final result. Our political and legal arguments have been proven. The arguments were very solid. The Italian justice has taken a few hours to make a decision that Spain has not taken for four years,” said Puigemont, who has acknowledged having spent “difficult hours” although “not unthinkable” given the path that Spain has made in the last four years to “impede” its “freedom of movement, of speech, of action and political commitment.”
The former president recalled that last week he met in the French National Assembly with several politicians from that country without incident and has assured that he will continue to travel in Europe. “We will continue with the fight to achieve our goal. We will not give up”, he asserted in an appearance in which, in addition to his lawyer, he was accompanied by the head of his Office, Josep Lluís Alay, and the Trustee of the Italian municipality , Mario Met.
The Italian justice decided to release Puigdemont without precautionary measures this Friday by assuming the interpretation of the General Court of the European Union that the European arrest warrant against him would be inactive. “The suspension of said procedure entails the suspension of the execution of said orders”, says the resolution of the magistrate Plinia Azzena in relation to the preliminary question raised by the magistrate of the Supreme Court Pablo Llarena about the reasons why it can be rejected an extradition and the European arrest warrant that the High Court issued against the former identity in October 2019.
The Prosecutor’s Office did not request his admission to prison and the order argues that any restriction on his mobility “would seriously jeopardize” his right to go to the European Parliament, where he is a deputy. In fact, the order highlights that the former president enjoys “immunity” to participate in meetings of the European Parliament. The same court will hear Puigdemont on October 4 and, from there, will have to decide whether or not the extradition process continues.
Puigdemont’s defense alleges that the European courts have yet to issue a resolution on his parliamentary immunity and on a preliminary ruling raised by Judge Pablo Llarena himself and that, therefore, we must wait for this matter to be settled. The magistrate of the Supreme Court does not think the same. This same Friday he addressed his Italian colleagues to ensure that his arrest warrant is not affected by these processes. “The judicial procedure from which the euro order derives is active and pending the capture of the defendants in rebellion,” he said in an official letter.