Several countries have joined the United States’ warnings for a few days that there is a real threat of terrorist attacks at the airport in Kabul, the capital of Afghanistan, and have asked their citizens not to approach the airfield to avoid a catastrophe.
Taking your family out of Afghanistan 8,000 kilometers away: “They are already in Madrid, we have done it”
Jake Sullivan, the national security adviser to US President Joe Biden, said Sunday that the threat of an attack by the Islamic State (IS) on the airport was “real and persistent.” This Wednesday, the Secretary of State of the North American country, Antony Blinken, said that the evacuation operation takes place “in a hostile environment in a city and a country now controlled by the Taliban” and with “the very real possibility of an attack by the Taliban. EI “.
In the last hours, the United Kingdom, Germany, Australia or France have warned that this situation is feasible and have accelerated the evacuations of their citizens and collaborators from the country.
The British Government has advised its citizens in Afghanistan not to approach the airport due to the “high threat” of a terrorist attack while the evacuation operation continues, in a warning issued by the Foreign Office.
In its alert, London has urged those citizens with British nationality located in the vicinity of the Afghan airport to “go to a safe location and await further notice.” The Foreign Office remarks that the security situation in that country “continues to be volatile” and warns of the existence of a “continuous and high threat of terrorist attack.”
Germany is also considering ending the airlift from the Asian country on Thursday to evacuate its Afghan nationals and collaborators given the serious worsening of the security situation at the airport, according to the weekly “Der Spiegel” reported on Wednesday.
“There are frequent dangerous situations and clashes with weapons at the gates (of the airport). Added to this are the recent warnings for terrorism,” says a letter from the German embassy in Afghanistan.
Terrorist threats and the decision of the United States not to extend the withdrawal of its troops, set for August 31, has forced the French government to also accelerate the departure of its troops and suspend its evacuations.
The French Prime Minister, Jean Castex, indicated this Thursday, in an interview with the radio station RTL, that these evacuation operations will continue “until tomorrow night” because then the French military who are dealing with the device will have to abandon Kabul airport.
He recalled that, in addition to repatriating the French who were in Afghanistan, those flights that stop at his Abu Dhabi air base before heading to Paris, have allowed some 2,500 Afghans to be taken out of Kabul.
In the same vein, the Australian authorities have spoken, and they have asked their citizens in Kabul to move away from the airport surroundings. “There is a constant and very high threat of terrorist attack. Do not travel to Kabul Hamid Karzai International Airport. If you are in the airport area, move to a safe place and wait for further directions,” says Australia’s travel recommendation, updated this Thursday.
Australia has so far evacuated a total of 4,000 people through 29 flights by the country’s Armed Forces, since the Taliban took over the Afghan capital in mid-August.