The registration period for the fourth edition of the Desalambre Awards, a recognition of journalism and NGOs with a human rights approach, is now open. From now until December 31, 2022, the call for awards with which elDiario.es wants to recognize the committed work of journalism and civil society in the defense of human rights is open.
The Desalambre Awards aim to promote and celebrate professional quality and personal dedication in one of the most transcendental areas of information of our time. Journalism has followed the alert launched decades ago by social organizations about the fundamental risks and challenges for our society. These awards want to recognize that effort to keep the focus on what is important and on the stories of the most vulnerable.
In turn, elDiario.es wants to contribute to the development of the third sector, give visibility to its projects and recognize the work of those organizations that defend causes of public and general interest: development cooperation, child care, the rights of migrants, the defense of the environment or universal access to essential services such as education or health, especially in a time as complex as the one we are experiencing due to the end of the pandemic, as well as the energy crisis and inflation caused by the Russian invasion of Ukraine last February.
Works published between October 1, 2021 and September 30, 2022 in any professional media in Spain may be submitted to these awards. The required documentation will be requested through the registration form that you will find on the website of the IV edition of the Desalambre Awards, where the announcement of the selection of award-winning works will also be made.
Desalambre is the publication specializing in human rights from elDiario.es, awarded for its intense coverage of all dimensions of the migratory phenomenon and a meeting point for those interested in international cooperation policies.
The Desalambre Awards grant six awards divided into two different categories: Activism and NGO and Journalism. On the one hand, the work of people and social organizations that, from rigor and honesty, make a difference and are decisive in social transformation will be recognized. In the second category, quality journalistic works with a human rights approach will be promoted. In the Journalism categories, 1,000 euros will also be awarded for each of the winning works. The Desalambre Awards will give the six winners a commemorative limited edition created especially for this fourth edition.
The categories in the field of journalism are:
- Award for the best chronicle or written report for the best written journalistic work, published by professionals, natural persons, individually or collectively, in Spain in defense of human rights and freedoms.
- Award for the best graphic or multimedia journalistic workpublished by professionals, natural persons, individually or collectively, in any media in Spain that has carried out a better image or innovation work in defense of human rights and freedoms.
- Perseverance Award, an award designed to applaud the tenacity and commitment in the journalistic routine. It will recognize a professional career committed to the defense of human rights and freedoms.
The categories in the field of NGOs are:
- Award for the best communication campaign of an NGO that stands out for content with relevant social impact.
- Award for the best documentation and research workwith which they want to recognize the work of NGOs when making reports that journalists then use as fundamental raw material.
- Human Rights Activism Awardfor that person who has stood out during the year for their social action.
The registration period ends on December 31, 2022 at 11:59 p.m.
Consult the bases of the IV Desalambre Awards here. For more information on the presentation of candidacies, consult the website of the Desalambre Awards.