Thursday, July 29

The Government ensures that tourism “facilitates the explosive situation” of COVID-19 in Catalonia


It was not just the young. The Government has placed tourism for the first time as one of the elements that has led to the “explosive situation” of the coronavirus in Catalonia. To try to contain the advance of the pandemic, the Catalan Executive hopes that the Superior Court of Justice of Catalonia (TSJC) will approve the night curfew in 161 municipalities, three more than those announced this Wednesday. The Government has not registered the request until this Thursday at noon and the judicial decision is expected to be known this Friday.

The infected young people speak: “We could have been more responsible, but the gambling dens too”

Know more

Asked how Catalonia has reached the top-5 of European regions with the most infections, the Minister of Health, Josep Maria Argimon, has reiterated the explosive cocktail formed by the delta variant, more contagious, and the increase in social interaction of young people with the end of the course, trips and the Sant Joan festival. But to these two factors the fact of Catalonia has been added as a tourist reference.

“The important tourist destination that is Catalonia facilitates the fact that an explosive situation can occur,” said Argimon, who has contrasted the situation in the community with the United Kingdom, where quarantine is mandatory upon arrival at the country. “The United Kingdom has been much more restrictive with the entry of people”, has settled Argimon, who nevertheless added: “I keep wondering why in territories with characteristics similar to Catalonia do not have this explosion of cases”.

Waiting for the TSJC

Although the judges have not yet endorsed the confinement between 1:00 and 6:00 hours for a week requested by the Government, the spokesperson for the Executive, Patrícia Plaja, has predicted that the curfew would have to be in force for another two weeks to notice its effects on the number of infections. If the judges accept the curfew proposed by the Government, it would affect more than 6 of the 7.5 million inhabitants of the community.

And that the Government has relaxed the demands when requesting a curfew because if the criterion had been the international high risk criterion – 125 cases per 100,000 inhabitants in 14 days – it would have had to request it for the entire community, something unfeasible without alarm status. Finally, the bar has been set at 400 cases per 100,000 inhabitants in the last seven days.

Although the legal services of the Government warned that the curfew could not be generalized, the spokesperson for the Generalitat has insisted that it is a “surgical” measure, as the president, Pere Aragonès said this Wednesday. The request of the Government has been registered after 1:00 p.m. and before making a decision, the judges require the report of the Prosecutor’s Office. The 158 affected municipalities have been joined by Santa Cristina d’Aro (Girona), Caldes d’Estrac (Barcelona) and Altafulla (Tarragona).



www.eldiario.es

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *