Sunday, March 26

The judge charges the director of the Tremp residence for the death of 64 elderly people

The Tremp court has opened two procedures as a result of the complaint filed by the Prosecutor’s Office in relation to the management of the outbreak that COVID-19 that left 64 elderly people dead in the Fiella residence. The two cases have been opened against the same two people: the former technical director of the center and the person in charge of Sanitary Hygiene. One is for alleged crimes against the safety of workers, and the other for alleged crimes of reckless homicide and unjust harassment.

The outbreak caused the death of 64 of the 142 users of the center and, according to the complaint from the Lleida prosecutor’s office, those weeks there was neglect in the attention to residents, lack of measures to stop the virus, lack of coordination and lack of real health care .

Last week the Lleida prosecutor’s office filed a complaint against the two former workers at the Fiella de Tremp residence and this Wednesday the court in the capital of Pallars Jussà has already opened two cases against them. In the records of the cases, it appears that 49 workers from the residence, several other witnesses and agents of the Mossos d’Esquadra have been summoned to testify.

Among the many irregularities described by the prosecution, it stands out that users were deprived of proper medical care and that there was also no coordination with the closest medical centers. It happened, for example, that dinners were not served to residents until after midnight and it is also pointed out that on those days many were cold, hungry and thirsty.

Other irregularities would have to do with the breach of the strict protocol for family visits, since they would not have been controlled and there were people with “certain privileges” because the visits were not supervised or carried out in an equitable manner.

The management of the deceased was chaotic, according to the complaint, to the point that relatives of the residents spent days without having any news of the situation. Some were informed that they were in good health when they had already died and others were not informed that their relative had died. There was no death protocol and this caused some family members to find out about the death of their relatives from the funeral home or other acquaintances from the municipality or volunteers from the residence. Others even had to go to the center and look for their relatives among the rooms where there were dead and some were forced to recover the bodies by their “own means”.