Sunday, September 19

The Prosecutor’s Office recognizes that it has not yet decided if it will denounce the King Emeritus


The Prosecutor’s Office has acknowledged in a statement issued this Friday that, for the moment, it has not decided whether it will denounce Juan Carlos de Borbón before the Supreme Court for any of the three investigations that it keeps open on his assets. The Public Ministry, as on previous occasions, ensures that it will make a decision when it receives the content of all the letters rogatory that it has requested from third countries in the last year.

The Prosecutor’s Office believes that Juan Carlos I enriched himself with “commissions and international business”

Know more

The statement comes just a few hours after El Mundo published the content of a rogatory commission sent to the Swiss authorities last February – already answered – in which the prosecutor Juan Ignacio Campos put four crimes on the table: bribery, money laundering, influence peddling and tax crimes. It is the first time that a letter transcends in which the investigators make a circumstantial qualification beyond the possible crimes against the Public Treasury that the emeritus king could have committed while hiding his fortune abroad.

The Prosecutor’s Office, the same day that Dolores Delgado meets with Felipe VI to deliver the annual report of the Public Ministry, now reduces the intensity of that qualification explaining that it is something provisional in order to obtain as much information as possible from the Swiss authorities . “It must be remembered that the request for any international legal assistance necessarily requires detailing all the evidence of criminality available by the requesting authority, accompanied by an initial and provisional legal qualification of the facts on which the petition is based,” he says.

They have not decided if they will denounce the emeritus in any of the three cases they have open on him and that list of corruption crimes, says the note, is not final. “We are not facing an opinion, request for prosecution or conclusions from the Prosecutor, but within the framework of a request for information, which simply details the possible illicit actions that are the subject of investigation.” The response of the foreign authorities will be the one that marks the path of the case: that “in due course will allow the Prosecutor to confirm or discard these indications, or even open other avenues of investigation.”

The Supreme Court Prosecutor’s Office took over the investigations into the King Emeritus more than a year ago and currently maintains three lines of action. In one case, he is investigating whether he collected and hid millionaire commissions for intervening in the award of the AVE works to Mecca to Spanish companies, in another if he used opaque cards behind the treasury’s back and lastly if he hid part of his fortune in Jersey. In parallel, the representation of the monarch has presented two tax regularizations worth more than five million euros between the two to try to avoid criminal liability.

The statement from the Prosecutor’s Office highlights the importance of these letters rogatory and their content and even lets it fall that if the investigation does not progress more quickly it is due to the rhythms of international cooperation. “The Office of the Prosecutor is committed to carrying out the reference investigations with the always obligatory exhaustiveness and maximum rigor, as well as with the required speed, often conditioned by the dynamics of international cooperation itself,” he says.

“Its tax derivatives”

The Prosecutor’s Office recalls in this statement that it keeps these three lines of investigation open but recalling that they also have “their tax derivatives.” From the outset, an important part of the investigations have focused on finding out whether the emeritus monarch hid the tens of millions of euros that he charged, for example, for the AVE to Mecca abroad. The magnifying glass is also placed on the credit cards that he used with his back to the treasury for years, as revealed by eldiario.es, and on the millionaire expenses that the Zagatka Foundation of his cousin Álvaro de Orleans took care of for years.

It is here where the defense of the emeritus has chosen to go presenting tax regulations and try to minimize the criminal and accounting impact that this management of hidden money may have on the Spanish Public Treasury. The second regularization of more than 4 million euros in February of this year came very close to the sending of a rogatory commission from the Spanish Prosecutor’s Office to the Swiss authorities.



www.eldiario.es

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *