With a view to offering an affordable same-day delivery service that provides a cost-effective, on-demand, and no-contact delivery solution, Uber has launched ‘Uber Connect’ which leverages the agility of Uber’s platform to efficiently send parcels and goods from one consumer or small business to another in Lagos.
According to business data platform, Statista, the e-commerce and last-mile delivery sector in Nigeria continue to attract strong investments and is expected to grow by about 11 per cent by 2025. The move by the ride-hailing firm which leverages technology represents its effort to improve the delivery of goods in the region.
In other markets in Sub-Saharan Africa such as Ghana, Kenya, Uganda and South Africa, Uber is already demonstrating its ability to constantly reinvent the Uber app as the needs of communities change and evolve. To avoid the traffic challenges often experienced in Lagos, the new service delivery will depend heavily on bikes and ensure quicker delivery. While safety remains a priority for drivers, Uber Connect will follow all hygiene and safety protocols/completion of a safety checklist that reminds drivers to wash their hands and sanitise their relevant delivery bags as well as wearing of face masks for all drivers. In addition, both senders and receivers will be required to follow a checklist to ensure social distancing measures.
What Uber is saying
Commenting on the development, Tope Akinwumi, Country Manager for Uber Nigeria noted that the platform has transformed beyond giving ride-hailing functions to include meeting the growing demands of the people.
He said “The benefits of Uber’s technology platform extend beyond the actual ride-sharing abilities of Uber. With the growth of on-demand deliveries rising due to the integration of digital technology, we have adapted our platform to meet the evolving needs of the communities we serve, while providing new revenue streams and earning opportunities for drivers.”
Steps to using Uber Connect
- Package the items in a sealed box or bag, clean the surfaces with disinfectant.
- Tell your driver-partner ‘Where to?’ on your Uber app.
- Choose Uber Connect as the ride.
- Follow the notifications: You’ll get notifications providing instructions on how to help ensure a smooth pickup and when your driver-partner is arriving, just as you would with an UberX trip. As you see the motorbike approach in the app, you should head outside and load your item into the motorbike’s top box.
- Share the trip status with up to 5 people on your contact list. One of these should be the recipient so they can easily monitor the delivery’s progress.