Thinking of changing your account settings to download an Android app that isn’t available in your country? In this guide we will explain how to change country in google play store and we will also talk about whether this is really the right decision.
It may interest you:
Knowing how to change the location of your Google Play Store account may be necessary if you move to another country. And it is that this configuration determines what content to obtain through the application store.
For example, you are going to live from Mexico City to New York and contract a Hulu subscription. As this streaming service is not available in Mexico, you will be forced to update your Play Store settings to download it in the United States.
But let’s be honest: most of the time it can be a measure that begins to haunt your head for a game or an application that you urgently need to download, but it is not available in your country of residence.
It’s worth it? The truth, not much. While you can cheat the system with a VPN, getting access to a handful of apps will require you to make a number of sacrifices:
- You won’t be able to use the google play balance that you had in the previous country.
- Because content varies by region, you may lose access to some books, movies, TV shows, games, and apps.
- You will need a valid address and payment mechanism in the new country or territory.
- You will see the prices and rates with the currency in the new country or territory.
- And, most importantly, you can only change this setting once every 365 days. That is, if you make the change, you can only reverse it one year later.
In any case, at the end of this article we will tell you about an alternative that can be useful, takes little time and will save you some headaches.
How to change country on Google Play
If you’re looking to change your settings because you really need to, there are two methods: through your smartphone and through your computer.
from your phone
If you’re doing this from a phone or tablet, you’ll need to be in the new location (or use a VPN) and have a valid form of payment there. Then, you must follow the following steps:
- Open the Google Play Store app.
- press Menu>Account.
- Under “Country & Profiles,” look for your name and country. (If you are not in the new country, it will not be listed, unless you use a VPN)
- If you don’t have a payment method from the new country, you must create a Google Pay profile.
- The first form of payment must correspond to the country for which you want to add the profile.
- Once you have created the profile, you will be able to add payment methods from other countries.
from your browser
The process is simpler in the browser, since you don’t need to wait to be in another country (or use a VPN). To do this, you must perform the following steps:
- On your computer go to GooglePay
- At the top, click Setting.
- In Payment profile, beside Country or region, click Edit.
- You must create a new Google Pay profile that is associated with your new place of residence.
- The default payment method must correspond to the new country or region.
Alternative method: use an APK file
If you want to have an application that is not available in your country of origin, an alternative method is to install it through an APK file (Android PackageKit), in a process also known as lateral unloading.
You will need to have a file from a trusted source handy and authorize installation from unknown sources. However, you should keep in mind that this process does not guarantee that you will have access to all the functions of the application, since many developers have their own location blocking systems.