Wednesday, December 8

Yunior García: «We arrived in Spain, alive, healthy and with intact ideas»


Havana – Madrid

Updated:

Keep

The playwright Yunior García Aguilera, A member of the Archipelago group that promotes the Civic March for Change that was scheduled to take place this Monday and was frustrated by the repression of the regime, he is in Spain. This was confirmed today by sources from the Spanish Government, and hours later by the activist himself, who arrived in Madrid on a commercial flight accompanied by his wife, Dayana.

After six in the afternoon of this Wednesday, Yunior wrote his first words, outside the island, on your facebook page. “Thank you very much to all the friends who have cared about us,” he begins by saying, before confirming his physical and moral state. «We arrived in Spain, alive, healthy and with intact ideas.

We have to thank many people who have made this trip possible. And, in an apologetic tone, he shares his inability to respond to all those who have wanted to contact him in the last hours. «I have been without communication for several days and I need to update myself on the situation of other members of the Archipelago. Very soon we will tell the odyssey. A hug!”.

Today there were many questions on both sides of the Atlantic about how the activist had left Cuba, and what had been the reasons for leaving the country. All kinds of theories circulated rapidly on the island, after the Cubans dawned with the surprising news. Hours before the Archipelago group He had denounced, through a statement, the disappearance of the activist by not answering at his home. The couple, according to Cuban media, had been seen for the last time on Tuesday morning. The two previous days, Yunior García was forced to remain at home as he was surrounded by State Security agents and groups related to the Cuban Government who carried out acts of repudiation against the activist to prevent him from marching, alone, on Sunday. Nor was he able to do so this Monday in a militarized city, Havana, in which repressive acts, arrests and raids multiplied in the homes of several of the members of the Archipelago group.

In addition to the different theories about how he had left the country, the refutation of the data initially offered was added. According to the first information, the playwright would have arrived in Madrid with a tourist visa, Data that was dismantled on social networks after recovering an old tweet from the Consulate of Spain in Cuba, which assured that until November 30 it would not issue this type of visa again due to travel restrictions due to the pandemic.

Jail exile

One of the most recurrent theories this Wednesday was that the activist, after a negotiation with the regime – it has denied it – and with the support of Spain, would have decided to leave the country so as not to go to jail. A very common blackmail used by the Cuban Government – forced expatriates – to get rid of those people who are uncomfortable for it. A couple of months ago, it was the artist Hamlet Lavastida who also chose exile. He was released, after spending four months in prison, on the condition that he leave Cuba. He currently lives in Germany.

Yunior García was aware of the enormous risk of leading the 15-N march, given the persecution suffered by those who demonstrated on July 11. And this was confirmed to the activist by a State Security agent during an interrogation. «Our sentences are already signed. They even told me which jail I’m going to go to, they tell me I’m going to El Combinado, “Yunior said during an interview with CNN en Español, referring to the Eastern Combined, the largest prison in Cuba, where the artist Luis Manuel Otero Alcántara is currently imprisoned.

If he continues on the island, the playwright could face a sentence of up to 20 years in prison, the Cuban lawyer explained to ABC yesterday Eloy Viera Cañive. Among the crimes he could be accused of are: ‘public disorder’, whose aggravated penalty would be between 1 and 3 years; ‘disobedience’, punishable by between 3 months and a year; and ‘instigation to commit a crime’, which includes a penalty of 3 months to a year.

“But in this case, at the insistence of announcing the march after the Government described it as ‘illegal’ – at the same time that the Prosecutor’s Office presented charges of up to 27 years in prison for some of those who demonstrated on J 11 recalls the jurist -, he could accuse him of sedition if he sees in it an incitement to commit crimes against the security of the State ».

See them
comments





www.abc.es

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *